By now, you've probably already read the "About Me," so you know why I love what I do so much. You know I quit my job as a desk drone and took a giant leap of faith to start a photography business. That stuff's important, for sure, but it ain't the whole picture (excuse the bad pun). Here's the top five things to know about me:
1. I'm a hopeless sugar addict. It started in the womb. My mom craved nothing but red Slurpees and waffles when she was pregnant with me, and ever since I arrived in this world, I've been all about that good, good sugar. I'm the kind of person who buys a pint of Ben and Jerry's, tells herself she's only going to have a few spoonfuls, and then it all disappears within minutes. I can't help it. I'm crazy for ice cream, cookies, brownies, and pie...but not cake. This will sound ridiculous, but I hate cake because frosting is too sweet.
2. I have a special needs dog. Last winter, I woke up to a loud crash. My dog, Moxie, had fallen off the bed and was having a seizure on the floor below. Instead of it being a one-off, she continued having them in the weeks following, and eventually her vet diagnosed her with epilepsy. We've spent the last 9 months trying to figure out the right medication regimen for her, and it's been a scary road with lots of breakthrough seizures. These days, she's on two types of meds and has to take them twice a day. She's put on some weight, and I've had to rearrange my schedule to make sure I'm always home on time for her pills. Thankfully, she's doing well, and she loves medication time since she always gets it with a healthy scoop of peanut butter!
3. I'm a late travel bloomer. Up until last summer when I spent a week in Florida, I had never been on a plane. I didn't grow up with a lot of money, so every vacation was somewhere reachable by car, most often the Wisconsin Dells (s/o to all you Chicago kids who went there every summer!). Now that I've actually traveled by air, I feel so free! Just this spring, I went to Dallas for a bachelorette party and Estes Park for a wedding, and this fall I'm on my way to Austin to see one of my oldest buds. After that, it's off to Connecticut to see the fall foliage and connect (sorry, another bad pun) with another friend.
4. I've morphed into an extrovert. Even a year ago, if you asked me to describe myself, I'd tell you straight up that I'm a solid introvert. I preferred the introvert cliche of staying at home with a good book, and I was so shy that my ex-boyfriend was always exasperated with my tendency to shadow him at parties. Now, though, I kind of love meeting new people. I still feel a little shy, but I'd much rather chat than stay silent...as everyone in my fitness classes can attest to. As for stay-at-home book nights, well, I still like them, but I sure as hell don't say no to a party invite anymore.
5. I'm all about positive thinking. Back at my office job, whenever any of my colleagues or I started complaining, I'd shout "PMA!" PMA stands for Positive Mental Attitude, and while it started as a joke, I'm totally on board with it now. I firmly believe that having a good attitude is absolutely necessary to living a good life. It makes you a happier, more confident person and gives you the mental tools you need to make great things happen for yourself. One day I'm definitely gonna get a PMA tattoo.